Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Oh hello again...

Before I start any reviews I should apologize for taking forever to update. I was told by a good friend that this blog should be more than book reviews, which was initially how I started it. However, my life isn't interesting enough to write about (in my opinion) and I doubt I'll be motivated or inspired enough to come up with my own material as often as readers like. I will, however, give you a little insight into my life for the past 6 months. This is me opening up, so be gentle.

I made a huge move from New York (state, NOT city) to California. Words can't express how overwhelming that journey was. That's saying a lot because I full-heartedly believe in the power of words. I read into what and how people express themselves verbally in a million different ways. Words are the light at the end of the tunnel. They can change your entire mood, your feelings, your ambition. That's mainly why I love to read and write. I believe in the power that language holds. I believe that sending someone a note can change their day. I believe a kind word can bring about happiness and that means the world to me.

Shortly (and I mean VERY shortly) after I arrived in California my boyfriend of four years broke up with me. I'm not going to get into details because it's taken me a long time to get over it and there's no point in looking back. It's over and done with; I'm better off now than I was then. It was the hardest thing I've ever been through but I am glad I went through it. I know it's made me a stronger person and that I've learned a lot about what I can handle from it. That may all sound cliche but it's the truth. I never had to search for myself because I've always known who I am. I haven't changed for anyone, even though I've been pressured to. I'm proud of myself for getting this far and staying true to myself. Maybe everything does happen for a reason after all.

Working through the breakup, finding an apartment, dealing with car trouble, and finally getting my transfer to Target worked out was about the hardest two months of my life. The perspective that this journey has given me is priceless. I feel like I'm experiencing life and gaining stories and memories that will shape my writing career. Or maybe that's just another excuse I can have for why I'm not actually writing anything...

Recently someone who has shaped my life in ways that he'll never know passed away. I haven't really dealt with his death yet. It just sits in the back of my heart simmering and gnawing at me. I know I'll have to recognize it and work through it, but I keep pushing it away like it doesn't affect me. I don't know if closure will ever come, but I don't regret a single thing.

Now things are a hundred times better in my personal life but financially I am scared out of my mind. In the past year and a half I've spent a couple thousand dollars. It's really overwhelming to see my savings account dwindle away. I don't mind working 80 hour weeks to do what I have to do, I just need to find a new job or a way to pick up more hours at Target. I don't want to regret anything in my life but it's hard to not regret the year I spent in Rochester paying $585 dollars for rent every month by myself. I worked my ass off and it's like I have nothing to show for it now. And the next 5 and a half years I'll be paying off this new car. I really hope I haven't made a mistake.

So there you have it. An update on my life. Now back to the book reviews. I'm going to start from scratch with the latest book I've read. It's called Bliss and it happens to be a mixture of The Andy Griffith Show, the Charles Manson murder trial, integration in schools, blood magic, first loves, and ghosts. If that doesn't catch your attention, I don't know what will!

1 comment:

  1. Hello there, Michaela! It's good to hear from your blog again. I've been meaning to tell you that I love reading your book reviews :)

    ReplyDelete