Monday, February 8, 2010

Book Review Four: are these my basoomas I see before me?

are these my basoomas i see before me? by Louise Rennison, published by HaperTeen.



If this is your first time hearing of Georgia Nicolson and her confessions of luuurve then you have to go back to the beginning and read all of the 10 confessions in this series, starting with angus, thongs, and full-frontal snogging. First of all, the titles are hilarious enough to inspire you to read them, from on the bright side, i'm now the girlfriend of a sex god, to dancing in my nuddy-pants and then he ate my boy entrancers (which, by the way, are fake eyelashes). But the books themselves are more than hilarious. They are adorable, witty, clever, charming, and full of twists on English words that will make you wish you knew Georgia and could speak her language. I swear whenever I am done with one of Rennison's books I want to tell people about my snogging adventures and how I have to go to the piddly-diddly department (the bathroom). Luckily for us American readers there is a glossary in the back full of terms we may not recognize and Georgia's own way of explaining them to us. She's an original character, she's a hoot and a half. She's feisty, obsessed with boys, and still struggling to find her self. She has problems with her parents who she thinks should stop meddling in her life and just lend her money and rides, after all, isn't that all parents are good for?

Georgia is not only a character but larger-than-life. Everything is written as if Georgia were real: the dedication, the glossary, the note at the beginning, any notes at the end, and Louise Rennison's website. It definitely gives the reader a connection to the character and makes for an unusual twist on the barrier between character and author. At times it makes me wonder who is Louise Rennison? Why doesn't it just say written by Georgia Nicolson? But alas, I must admit that Rennison is that talented that she even fooled me. I want Georgia to be real. I don't want this final confession to be the last I hear of her (which I may not have to worry about because they made the first book into a movie! I'll have to watch that soon and let you know how it stocks up!).

Here is my only warning to you: if you are a teenage girl who sometimes likes to be silly, who likes to pretend she has an accent, who wishes she had countless adventures with love ... then clear your calendar! Once you start reading you won't be able to put these books down. You'll devour them (I read this last book in one day) and you'll be caught laughing to yourself or proclaiming "Oh Georgia" to an empty room. You should not read these in public for fear of being judged as a crazy person.

Language and Geographic barriers aside, Georgia is like any American teenage girl. She wants to go out and have fun. She makes fun of her parents, she's annoyed by her little sister and her crazy cat. She worries about make-up, pimples, school, her teachers, boys, and her friends. But everything in her life comes out as funny because there is no one quite like Georgia. She makes herself the center of attention in her group of friends and is always on-again-off-again with her best friend Jas, who is, according to Georgia, in love with her owl collection and her boyfriend, Tom. But no matter how self-obsessed Georgia may seem at times, constantly telling her parents that they are too old to be acting the way they are, or turning every conversation back to herself, or causing trouble in her classes in an effort to amuse herself, she has this insatiable charm. You can tell that she truly cares about her friends and family. She protects her little sister even though she's constantly intruding in Georgia's life or messing up her room. She cares about Angus, her cat, even though he may be the most bizarre and wild pet I have ever heard of.

This final book makes Georgia finally decide between Masimo, the Luuurve God, and Dave the Laugh. It's up to Georgia to decide who she really loves. Does she only love Masimo because of the kissing (since they can't tell they have anything in common due to the language barrier) or does she really love Dave the Laugh because she can be her outrageous spontaneous self around him? I won't spoil it for you, but I will tell you the ending is adorable, I laughed the whole way through, and I'm sad to see it end.

p.s. I love when Dave the Laugh calls Georgia kittykat and sex kitten. Too cute for words.

No comments:

Post a Comment