Sunday, May 31, 2009

S'more Lovin'

I hope it doesn't seem like all I've been talking about lately is food. Because even if food is on my mind a lot (mainly because it's all you smell in the summer as you walk down your BBQ filled streets) I don't want to bore everyone to tears with my incessant chatter about it. I'll leave it to this post and then go on to more pressing matters (like weight loss, ha!).

But for now, I have to tell you about my love for s'mores. It goes about the same length as my love for fried dough: both seem easy to make and can be eaten year-round, even if I tend to crave them more during the sweltering summer months. I make them on the stove-top. I stick the marshmallow right into the flame and let it puff up on fire until I have to blow it out. That's the best: it's crunchy and gooey and just plain delicious.

And they're versatile! Above is a picture of s'more brownies I made for my sister's graduation party last sumer. It was real easy because you just use brownie mix over some graham crackers and then put marshmallows on top when you bake it. I think we have some kind of baking obsession in my household because my sister loves to make cupcakes and I love to make cakes. Any kind of cake, ice cream or otherwise: 

This one was especially easy because you just layered ice cream sandwiches ontop of pudding mix with little bits of oreo cookie in it. You frost it with cool whip, press foil around it and freeze until you're ready to serve! Below is a cake I made for my nephew's
 birthday this year (thank you www.bettycrocker.com) : 

Another reason I'm talking about food is because I've been looking for a job lately. My entire resume is full of food service experience and personally I am IN LOVE with literature. Not food. But you wouldn't know it by looking at my resume and that depresses me. I've worked at a few places in the Buffalo area that just had amazing selections. Such as this panini below from Diamond Hawk Golf Course (Sonwil Drive in Cheektowaga), which I bet you didn't know you could eat at without golfing, and most of the pastas at Bravo Cafe and Catering (Seneca Street in Elma). 
Of course we're in hard times and everyone is trying not to eat out as much, understandable, yet my mother is a seasoned waitress (currently at the famous Chef's downtown [side note: Won Best Italian in Artvoice's Best of Buffalo 2009: http://artvoice.com/issues/v8n19/best_of_buffalo_winners ]), so if you feel the urge to put a little discretionary money into the economy, feel free to send it her way! (Ask for Sharon M.) 

So until my first book is finally finished and awaiting some miracle of success, or until some head honcho at a major publishing firm in the beautiful NYC decides to send an entry-level position my way, I'll be steering clear of the food service industry in the nearby city of Rochester. I love you Buffalo, you're my city through and through (and I apparently have the accent to prove it). 

Until next time, be nostalgic, think about good times, and remember, home is where the heart is.

No comments:

Post a Comment